Monday - Friday
8:30am - 4:00pm



222 S 7th Street Suite G-07
St Maries, ID 83861

Page Links:
Address Changes
New Vehicle Purchase
New Idaho Resident
VIN Inspections
Specialty Plates
Personalized Plates
Drive Insured

Auto License


The Assessor acts as a vendor for the Idaho Transportation Department and provides a convenient auto license location for Idaho residents to handle their title and registration transactions.

The Auto License Office reviews and processes title transfers; issues registrations, registration renewals and license plates for qualifying vehicles, vessels and trailers. Additional services include: handicapped placards, ID State Park Passports and registration renewals for ATV's, UTV's, motorbikes, snowmobiles and boats.

Be kind and courteous. Staff is here to assist you with your transactions.

Picture identification required
Prior to conducting any business customers are required to provide an Idaho Driver's License or Idaho State ID Card, ITIN or ETIN. New residents must provide their out of state driver's license, social security card or number.

Usage of cell phones and electronic devices

Cell phones and electronic devices can be noisy, distracting and interfere in the processing of your transactions. To expedite your visit, silence your electronic device or step out of the office while using it.

Address Changes
New residents and current Idaho residents are required to provide verification of their Idaho physical and mailing address. Verification of address may include but is not limited to documents such as mortgage papers, rental agreement, utility bill, etc.

Recently purchased a vehicle, vessel or trailer?
You will need to bring the following:
Title (for used vehicles) - must be properly released by the previous owner and lienholder (if any), or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (for new vehicles) - must be properly released by the dealer and assigned to the owner.
Bill of Sale - must include vehicle description, sales price, buyer's full legal name, original signature of seller and date.
Odometer Disclosure - required for any transfer of a motor vehicle less than 20 years old and must be entered on the title.
Weight Slip - must provide the empty or scale weight of the utility trailer or any tandem axle or larger boat trailer.
Vehicle Identification Number "VIN" Inspection - required for any vehicle that was purchased from an out-of-state private party, dealership or vehicle that has an out of state title or mco/mso. This inspection can be completed by auto license employees, any law enforcement officer, military
police officer, or Idaho licensed dealer.

Titling Fees:
A. Sales tax at the current Idaho State Tax Commission rate of the purchase price (minus trade-in if purchased from a licensed dealer), including documentation fee and any buyer fees or add on fees, or documentation that sales tax was paid to the state of purchase to match the Idaho State Tax rate.
B. Title fee - $19.00
C. VIN Inspection fee - $5.00

New Idaho Resident

An Idaho resident is anyone whose domicile (principle home) has been in Idaho for 90 continuous days, although residency may be declared at any time earlier, and vehicles may be titled and registered at that time. You must title and register your vehicle when you become a resident of Idaho.

You should bring the following:
Current title and registration. If the vehicle has not been titled in your name, be sure the title has been signed over to you by the seller and that you have a signed bill of sale from the seller. If the title is being held by a lienholder, your lienholder's name and address is required. If your title has been lost you will need to apply for a duplicate title from the state of issuance.
Vehicle being titled and registered. You will need to have the vehicle inspected. This can generally be completed by auto license employees, any law enforcement officer or an Idaho licensed dealer.
Picture identification
Verification of Idaho physical and mailing address

Vehicle or Hull Identification Number (VIN or HIN) Inspections

A VIN/HIN inspection is required if you are transferring an out-of-state title, have purchased a vehicle
through a private sale, from an out of state dealership or if you do not have a valid title in your
possession. A VIN/HIN inspection is required prior to the issuance of title application and/or
registration. Inspections can be completed by auto license employees, an Idaho licensed dealer, any
law enforcement officer or military police.

PRIOR TO THE INSPECTION you are required to:
Locate the VIN/HIN on the vehicle, vessel, or trailer
Have the title or last registration on hand at time of inspection.

VIN inspections are conducted on a first come, first served basis during regular business hours and
subject to personnel and facilities availability.

Vehicle Registration
Vehicles must be titled in Idaho before they can be registered.
Vehicle registration fees vary depending on:
The type and use of the vehicle being registered
A requirement for new license plates
Postage costs to mail new plates
A requirement for Vehicle/Hull Identification Number (VIN/HIN) inspection
Applicable tax (taxes depending on sale and/or purchase price)

Personalized License Plates
$25.00 - For initial issuance (in addition to registration fees)
$15.00 - Annual renewal fee (in addition to registration fees)

Most Specialty License Plates
$35.00 - Initial issuance (in addition to registration fees)
$25.00 - Annual renewal fee (in addition to registration fees)
      Click below to see a complete list of all special plate types available:

Drive Insured!
The Idaho DMV receives data from licensed insurance companies identifying vehicles that have insurance. While companies are required by law to price this information, some fail to do so and it may result in the vehicle being flagged as not having insurance. Flagged vehicles can not be renewed until insurance information is received by Boise. Please note, county auto license offices are not involved with the Drive Insured Program, and affected vehicle owners cannot report their insurance in-person there. Please use the Idaho DMV's online self reporting tool at: or call 208-334-8075.

Idaho State Parks and Recreation
Benewah County Auto License is a vendor for the Idaho Department of Parks & Recreation and offers Idaho residents the option to register their ATV, UTV, motorbike, boat or snowmobile. As a vendor, the office provides customers with a receipt and a sticker at the moment of purchase that allows customers to enjoy Idaho's great outdoors. For additional questions please contact our office or go to:

Payments Accepted
Checks or Money Orders - there is a $20.00 returned check fee
Credit/Debit cards - there is a processing fee

Top of Page